Labels

Sunday 31 August 2014

A perfect day in the making at Bills & Three Blue Ducks, Sydney

Pictures have a way. They are more than just memories. For me they were an inspiration today afternoon.  Just as I was seeing them while the rains kept me company, I felt the sudden urge to write. I remembered the last day in Sydney’s CBD before moving to the Cabramatta suburb at my cousin’s place. The lovely Wednesday morning was spent retracing my steps on numerous occasions to find a hidden gem called Bills in the Darlinghurst neighborhood. Yes, I’m not very good with maps or directions. It has been like this since the beginning and I kind of enjoy wandering meaninglessly. Like this time around, I got lost in the alleys of Darlinghurst with beautiful houses lined up on both sides of the street. Along my way I must have sent out countless signals to the universe - 'let me own one of the petite pastel homes in the Darlinghurst neighborhood'. As I walked in complete awe of the picturesque homes lane after lane, I almost missed Bills.

At the corner of Liverpool Street stood Bills, the Mecca for many Sydneysiders who begin their day with beautiful breakfast mornings. As soon as you enter, the distinctive yet simple decor and the central communal table evoke a timeless charm.

At Bills it had to be one of the much talked about duo, either the scrambled eggs or the ricotta hotcakes. I went with the Ricotta hotcakes with honeycomb butter & banana. Especially after having tasted them at Perrotta’s at the Gallery in Cairns and falling in love with them instantaneously. And writing about it gives me a chance to cherish the delight once again. 

Ricotta Hotcakes..New Love
I can feel the feather like soft pillow like ricotta hotcakes melt away in my mouth, caressing my taste buds. The honeycomb butter caught my fascination, just like the chocolate gold coins in my childhood with its sweet and creamy character. Yes, someday I plan to make honeycomb butter. The maple syrup jug that accompanied it was so pure; light amber colour with a delicate clean light flavor. Felt as though I could drink a jug full without the sweetness tugging at my throat. The last time I tasted pure maple was at the Upper Crust Show a while ago, when the Ontario Maple Syrup Producers Association enlightened me and trained my palate to the authentic maple taste.
Ricotta Hotcakes
 Such was the morning, food perfection with a rather simplistic style. Now as I write this I dream about the Pavlova with berries and wonder what made me contemplate over such a simple decision.  
View from the cliff lookout 
On that happy note, I boarded the bus to Bondi for a cliff walk after taking directions from the staff at Bills. The Bondi  to Coogee walk is a picturesque coastal route that will take you through stunning beaches, bays, infinity pools, limestone cliffs and spectacular views that you will miss on many Mumbai afternoons in future. The good part this route takes you past the café strips of Bronte and Coogee.

As I worked up my appetite walking the entire morning, one café that charmed me the most was the Three Blue Ducks in Bronte. The restaurant has a very laid back feel and I noticed that most people had a good repartee with the staff making them regulars from the nearby Bronte community. The staff here are fun, friendly and you can almost feel the vibe with which they so passionately dish out food from their open kitchen. 
Crispy skin Mulloway with leek & garlic puree
With the walk along the ocean and the taste of it in my mouth I knew it had to be seafood. So I ordered the Crispy Skin Mulloway with leek garlic puree and pine nuts. The fish was so fresh, it melted like malai in my mouth. The fish skin done crisp to perfection. The leek garlic mash had subtle flavors to accompany the fish, ensuring the fish is still the hero. I loved the multiple textures of the fish, the puree and the nuts. The menu has a focus on simple local produce, mostly right from their back garden. You could eat here each day and never get enough of it. 

Photo By Three Blue Ducks

Lemon Meringue Tart
So I decided to treat myself to dessert with their Lemon meringue tart. These little bombs were sheer pleasure of tart, sweet and lemony goodness. Ooohh now I can safely say I have tasted the best lemon meringue tart in the world. During the course of my meal I chatted up with Sam (hope I have got the name right) and he greeted me with 'Namaste. Kaise ho?'. I then discovered he had back packed in India in the 90's for about 3 months and had been to more places than me in my own country.


As I looked them up on the internet later, I found out they had made it big on the world stage and numerous best breakfast lists in Sydney. 

No comments:

Post a Comment