Labels

Tuesday 18 April 2017

The Mountains can heal you


My hands swollen due to the cold. I could not feel my face. My lips fell numb. My nose dripping throughout making it difficult to breath. My legs were telling me to rest but my heart kept telling me to take that one more step. Looking down meant, the fear of height gripping you rather than the experiencing the joy of climbing up so far. But, don’t be afraid. Fight your fear. For fear is only as deep as you allow it to be in your mind. Every point I reached on my upward climb made me feel like I had reached the peak only to discover that there was more to go. Then suddenly there was nothing more to climb. My eyes narrow squinted due to the winds blowing could finally see the rays of the sun playing with the mist to display the range of mountains slowly with passing of time. Looking into the horizon, I saw some mountains stark and rugged while the others showed their beautiful snowcapped peaks.

The mountains are calling and I must go ~ J Munir
PC: Tulika Wadhi-Jha
As soon as I reached, I wanted to sit and relax on the rocks overlooking the mountains. I was wonderstruck by the majestic mountains. They stood rock solid for years. They stood their ground in all kinds of weather. Isn’t life somewhat to be live like that? For me it was not about climbing the summit to Kedarkantha peak. I guess it was more about what I learned or rather unlearned while trying to climb up. After all, just occasionally, you encounter things, your paths cross, and though you may part again quite soon, your life has changed in some indefinable way. The mountains did that to me.

The Landscape as you trek
Simply put, the mountain culture heals you. After all mountains create a powerful protective culture that is capable to insulate you from the harsh pressures of the modern world.  There is something about the community dinning with people, about sharing food with one another, about people slowing down to chat with you, about endless laughter, about the carefree mind not occupied with the daily hassles, about living under a tiny tent roof yet being content, about protecting one another while walking, about meeting people that inspire you. These are the mysterious and magical ways of the mountains. They conquer your heart and soul. Not to let the grip slowly loosen out with time rather to hold onto firmly with each passing day. It is the place and our changing perspectives in the mountains that heal us.


The candid fun in the mountains. 
The mountains did heal me and teach me.

On the first day as we were walking up to our first campsite at Juda Ka Talaab, I understood that we live far too much in the future. While climbing up most of us saw the long steep climb upwards taking away our energy and zeal. That is when I re-learnt that living in the moment is a more beautiful thing. Just taking that next step is all that matters. We let our future take away too much from our present. Such that we don’t live in the present to enjoy the wind riffling our hair, the leaves rustling, the birds chirping, aimless wandering along the path of angelic white butterflies or plucking fresh Red Rhododendrons to eat. Be in the moment. Be alive. Be present.

Red Rhododendrons
After we reach our first campsite, Juda Ka Tallab. I soon discovered that it was three or more ponds not interconnected but as years passed by, they morphed into one big pond that we see today. For just as the bounty keeps evolving, you are meant to be malleable. Keep looking at your reflection occasionally; unpeeling and growing to take new forms and shape. Always showing yourself you can be your better self.
Be a reflection of those that you admire 
 As we bid our goodbyes to our first campsite and proceeded to walk towards the next Kedarkantha base camp our tryst with the snow finally happened. Imagine all this while snow was eluding us. That is when you feel that the happiness in little moments is for real. The sheer joy of experiencing something that is at the back of your mind every minute, every step of the way is unprecedented. For thoughts are never honest, what you experience is.

A volcano of a sunset
The next day was a blur. We woke up (never slept really) at 2am to ensure we start our summit climb on time. I was late for the briefing before the start of the summit climb. I was so hassled that I felt my energy would run out soon. That is the day, I told myself to have the designated time for the right things at the right time. I do fail on most days still but I have made a start to say the least.

Majestic Mountains
Soon enough your thoughts start to fade away when you encounter sheer beauty of walking in the night. You get a new burst of energy. The stars feel like diamonds in the sky. You almost want to transform into that little girl who could pluck stars from the sky, like in the fantasy books read to you at night. You almost want to look up and walk along the path not missing a single sight. For not, everything you love stays forever. You must learn to make peace with that.

Lonely bridge 
Slowly and suddenly, the sun starts to rise and shine. As the night breaks into the day. As the stars, disappear to bring out the clouds. I just stood there on the bridge, under the tree, by the stream and then just like spring, embraced the new. With that thought, I started my final climb to the summit.
With each passing step, fear was an ever-resounding companion. I was wondering if fear ever leaves you. For fear grips you like leeches, holding on, until you to breakdown. I was countering my thoughts, taking them away to the mountains on the horizon. For with each mountain, that stood rock solid, I had come to understand of grit and perseverance. Grit is like having stamina. The stamina to see your future unfold. Grit is living life like a marathon, not a sprint. So, with my grit, I finally made to the top. Quite literally and figuratively.

For fear is only as deep as the mind allows

PS: My first trek was with India Hikes. I would suggest them to everyone after a fabulous experience, to say the least. India Hikes ensures safety is their top priority. Duty bound trek leader and his very efficient team displaying sound knowledge and exemplary mountain spirit. Very efficient and organized.   



No comments:

Post a Comment